Camden Hills State Park, Camden, Maine

Driving up to Maine took much longer than I expected.  Towing a camper you have to be really alert, watch your speed and anticipate the need to stop.  That means I have to stop every couple of hours and make sure I'm awake enough.  I've now figured out it takes 1.7 times what Google Maps says for me to drive the camper to any destination.  From now on I think I'll just double the time and allow for some side trips and meandering.  I'm retired, right?

Anyway, I got settled at the campground and woke the morning to a glorious sunny and warm day.   I walked from my campsite down to the sea.
I don't know about everyone, but sometimes I just need to go to the ocean.  I need to sit by the water and listen to the waves lapping on the shore.  It feels sometimes like the world's breathing.

I nearly cried when I got close enough to the shore to hear the waves.  Sat for a long time on the rocks, just watching and listening.  Even lay down and let the sound soothe me.  Ah Maine!

The next day I climbed Mt. Battie.  It's all of 780' high which is not a big mountain.  Since you're starting about at sea level, though, and since I hadn't done any hiking yet this year (what with broken ankle and foot and wrenched knee), it felt like a good accomplishment.  And the view is spectacular!!  There's a tower on the top where you can get a 360 degree view of tree covered mountains, Penobscot Bay, harbors and islands.  Here's Camden Harbor.
My last night there I took myself out for a lobster dinner and ended up chatting about our dysfunctional healthcare system with a guy named Andy, now retired, who did IT for major hospitals.    On the way home, the stars were so bright.  I walked down to a grassy part of the park in the dark (with my Luci flashlight), lay on my back and looked.  More stars than I've seen in the sky in a long time, living in town.  The Milky Way was so bright, I couldn't make out any constellations, just stars and starlight sweeping across the sky.

On my way back to Massachusetts, I stopped in Damariscotta to eat my lunch.  Thinking of Doug and Carol who have come here for years.  A view of the Damariscotta River.
And so back to Northampton for the church fair.

Comments



  1. Once you've got this down, you'll be able to laugh at these early adventures. Glad Big Steve was nearby. We have nice memories of Camden and Mt Battie. What a view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try also the trail to Maiden Cliff, a bit north of Camden but in that series of hills. There's a monument and large cross at a certain spot, with a bit of history from 1864. Access to trail is in Lincolnville; I can get details for you if you want! Glad to know you've been enjoying "down east" !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts