So I've been reading Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer, given to me by Nan.  This author has Native American heritage and is also a botanist.  Weaving together her ways of knowing nature and the earth, she reminds me that everything is sacred;, worthy of respect and gratitude.

The other night, my daughter and I got into an Uber and she thanked the driver for picking us up.  I was touched at the respect and gratitude expressed in that simple gesture.  When I asked her about it, she said that she figures most people don't relate to Uber drivers even as if they were human, treating them more like part of the machinery of the ride they paid for.  She was just acknowledging the driver's humanity.

Then yesterday I was riding the M train from Ridgewood into Manhattan, which is mostly elevated, with great views.  Looking out the window, I began asking for blessings on all the trees I could see, who give us oxygen and sequester carbon, even in the midst of greater New York City.  The people on the train were mostly plugged into their phones, carrying on their lives, paying no attention to their surroundings.  I noticed old interesting buildings, and squares with statues, bridges, cars and the people on the street.  There were church spires, too, because even here, people seek the sacred.  Really we are all sacred, even the massive hive of material life that is New York City.  Feeling that, I felt suddenly at home here, instead of being an outsider, a visitor, a stranger.  And then I prayed that we would realize we are all in this together, and change our ways to care for our beautiful Earth and keep it safe for our children.  And went on blessing the trees.

Comments

Popular Posts