Enjoying New York

While I can't imagine living in New York or any big city full-time, I have enjoyed my visit.

Kitsune (Little Fox in Japanese) is really a very cute kitty, but not sure why he wanted to watch me brush my teeth?

Walked to Urban Jungle a giant second had clothing store in Bushwick one afternoon.  Urban Jungle had a wall of overalls and I found a pair that fit me!  Enjoyed the mostly Latinx neighborhoods I walked through.  On the way home, I was tired and stopped at La Mominette, a French restaurant in Bushwick where I've eaten with my daughter.  Had "Moules Frites" which means steamed mussels and French fries, as well as a dish of ratatouille and a glass of white wine.

Moule Frites, Ratatouille and white wine

La Mominette
Another day, my good friend Carol met me at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the new sculpture commission by Wngechi Mutu, a Kenyan woman.  She has created 4 massive sculptures of women/celestial beings for niches in the Met's facade that have been empty since it was built.  Filled with these commissioned sculptures for the first time.  They are massive, covered in coils, reminiscent of the necklaces of some African women, but which could be vines or snakes.  Their fingers are long and pointed, not human at all.  And the bronze circles in different positions on each, made me think of lip plates and also the way that caryatids support buildings and furniture on a flat plate, usually on their heads.  Carol and I found them wonderful -- exciting, iconoclastic and beautiful.  Here are two, though the photos don't do them justice.  If you're in New York, be sure to go see them through Jan 12, 2020.




We also saw a Rembrandt exhibit, including this self portrait.  My friend Jennifer suggested I be sure to see it.  I've seen pictures of his paintings before, but seeing the originals, the brush strokes are visible in some places and in others, the surface is so smooth, it disappears -- fascinating!


It was a beautiful day to be walking in New York.  The light fading in Union Square:


Kitties in the kitchen:


Heading to upstate New York to pick up my camper and head south.  Pennsylvania, Delaware Water Gap, Virginia . . . .

Comments

Popular Posts