Heading South
This week, I've been kitty sitting in Ridgewood, Queens, while my daughter is on tour in Japan. Who knew that there is an audience for jug band music in Japan? She will be touring with the Jalopy Traveling Folk Fest, made up of a number of her favorite musicians. I'd bet they have a week-long jam session.
Not wanting to take the camper to the city, I left it at my cousin Bill's in upstate New York. Bill and Arla took me to an amazing place -- Olana, the estate of Frederick Church, one of the painters in the Hudson River School in the 1800's Inspired by Persian architecture, Olana overlooks the Hudson River with beautiful vistas that he often painted.
After kitty sitting in Queens, I'll go pick up my trailer at Bill's house and then I'm heading south. When a quick glance at the map showed me the next state south is Pennsylvania, three things I've always wanted to see popped into my mind -- the Constitution and Bill of Rights in Philadelphia, Amish country in Lancaster County, and Gettysburg. Never been to these places, though I lived in W. Pennsylvania through high school.
And then, I'll be heading down through Virginia toward North and South Carolina. (Although there is a kazoo factory in Tennessee I may need to visit.)
If you know of someone who might be fun for me to meet along the way, please let me know? I have really enjoyed visiting friends and family by staying in my camper in their driveway for a few days. Less imposition on them, and I get to sleep in my own cozy bed at night. Plus it really helps not to have to pay campground fees every night.
And if there are any points of interest or good kayaking spots, please let me know about those, too? Maybe there is a place you have loved going to in the past and I could send you some fresh pictures.
Not wanting to take the camper to the city, I left it at my cousin Bill's in upstate New York. Bill and Arla took me to an amazing place -- Olana, the estate of Frederick Church, one of the painters in the Hudson River School in the 1800's Inspired by Persian architecture, Olana overlooks the Hudson River with beautiful vistas that he often painted.
![]() |
| Though it was a cloudy day, a contemporary artist was painting this view that inspired Frederick Church. |
After kitty sitting in Queens, I'll go pick up my trailer at Bill's house and then I'm heading south. When a quick glance at the map showed me the next state south is Pennsylvania, three things I've always wanted to see popped into my mind -- the Constitution and Bill of Rights in Philadelphia, Amish country in Lancaster County, and Gettysburg. Never been to these places, though I lived in W. Pennsylvania through high school.
And then, I'll be heading down through Virginia toward North and South Carolina. (Although there is a kazoo factory in Tennessee I may need to visit.)
If you know of someone who might be fun for me to meet along the way, please let me know? I have really enjoyed visiting friends and family by staying in my camper in their driveway for a few days. Less imposition on them, and I get to sleep in my own cozy bed at night. Plus it really helps not to have to pay campground fees every night.
And if there are any points of interest or good kayaking spots, please let me know about those, too? Maybe there is a place you have loved going to in the past and I could send you some fresh pictures.







Comments
Post a Comment