Note: Something went wrong with the blog host, or the wifi, and this post actually precedes the one on Gettysburg.
From Philadelphia, I drove on little roads through beautiful wide valleys actively being farmed. You can request that Google Maps finds you a route without highways and that's how I ended up on these small roads, driving past farms, past rows of small ranch houses, past condominium complexes and an occasional mansion on the top of a hill, and through small towns.

I wanted to see Amish country, but how do you tell which farms are Amish and which are not? Many farms had very high silos. I couldn't see how you'd get the silage up that high without machinery, which Amish don't use? I began looking for machinery, figuring if there are tractors and trucks, it's not an Amish farm. At one point I came up behind a horse drawn conveyance with a closed cab in front and a small open area behind. Kind of like a small pick up truck, crossed with a carriage. In the back, three little girls were sitting in long dresses and kerchiefs, obviously an Amish family. At another point, I saw two men in a horse drawn cart. They had broad brimmed hats on, but didn't look as plain as Amish. And then I saw a bevy of young girls and women, all in long, plain dresses with their long hair in buns with bun covers walking across a yard toward a barn, with a tractor in front of it. There were some signs for Mennonite activities as well. And a young woman in a long dress and high laced boots, with her hair long and loose, struggling with an attachment to a small tractor or riding lawn mower she was clearly using. Twice I saw a building that looked like a school -- wooden buildings painted white, school house shaped, no sign, with swings in front and a 12 foot chainlink fence along the road -- what you'd put along the road to keep kids with balls from running after them into traffic. I finally concluded that this countryside is a very mixed area -- some Amish, some Mennonite, some "English", many large and active farms, some housing for people who work in the city, some development of high end residences -- all mixed together. Probably as confusing to the Amish as it is to me. The land was beautiful -- wide, open valleys with tree lined ridges. Good farm country,
Certainly lots of churches, many of which look quite new and large -- likely well attended. Passed through Churchtown and Goodville, and by the Truth and Faith Church. There must be many religious people living here. Beautiful stone houses and barns all along the way. I wanted to stop and take pictures but I have to find a safe place to pull over -- not when someone is on my tail, and where there is a wide enough shoulder, and good visibility for people who are passing me. This house and barn are typical, though many were prettier.
 |
| Some of the old stone barns are still in use for farming. This one was converted to a mattress store. |
At lunchtime, I was craving fish. Pulled over and Googled "Lancaster Fish Markets". That's how I found Mr. Bill's Seafood Market and the Fat Crab Cafe. High quality seafood, and that's Mr. Bill in the red shirt, serving up raw and broiled oysters on the deck.
 |
| Broiled Boston Bluefish, salad and fries. Yumm! |
 |
| If you're in Lancaster PA and you're hungry for fish, check out Mr. Bill's. |
Stayed in the Gettysburg Walmart parking lot overnight. Most Walmarts will let you stay, and they are generally a safe place to spend the night, though not glamorous. Fortunately the place where I parked was pretty level, which is important because my camper's refrigerator will be damaged if you run it while off level. The 12V battery in the camper had completely run out of electricity after 2 nights running the fan for the propane heater, while not connected to electricity at French Creek State Park. It was supposed to be 35 degrees overnight and I was worried how I'd do in the camper, which isn't that well insulated. I just put on leggings, and a hoodie to keep my head warm, got under my covers, and slept fine. In the morning it was nice to be able to go into the Walmart bathroom and get warmed up. Don't get me started on Walmart's business practices, but I'm finding the stores are useful.
Comments
Post a Comment