On April 15th, Samoa and I met up in a Walmart parking lot in New Jersey, ready to caravan across country. Samoa set up her car with a cozy foam mattress in the back and slept there as we traveled, with black-out shades for her windows. Sleeping in her car, she wanted to be in a campground at night and got good at finding a state park for us each night. We spent our first night camping in Buchanan State Park in Ft. Loudon, PA.
We took back roads from this park to return to the Pennsylvania Turnpike and drove over Tuscarora Mountain, which was spectacular - up winding roads and over steep passes. Always fun to get off the mostly straight and level thruways to see and feel the actual lay of the land. I had forgotten how mountainous western Pennsylvania is.
Samoa wanted to see the house in Mt. Lebanon PA, near Pittsburgh, where I lived for junior and senior high. Pittsburgh hills are very steep and the roads just go up and down them regardless.
Made me a little sad to see this house my parents designed and built and where I lived for a long time, though not always happily. High school was not my favorite time.
That night we camped at Buck Creek State Park in Ohio.
Companionable cars.
The crescent moon and stars seemed to hang in the bare branches of the trees that night. Samoa loves a campfire and began making one at every opportunity. While making the campfire, she will often bring out her ukulele and sing. For me that is heaven.
Next day we drove to Kickapoo State Park in Illinois. This park is on the site of an old strip mine, where land was abandoned after the mining with many deep hollows and steep piles of mine tailings. Somehow over the decades since mining stopped, the land has recovered itself, filling in the hollows with ponds and small lakes, and covering the raw tailings with woods and trees. The resulting park is lovely. It's reassuring that Nature could take back this ravaged land and make it beautiful, with many redbuds in bloom.
My camper, Turtle, overlooking a site recently restored to a sustainable slope.
After we took a walk, Samoa made a fire and sang "Danville Town" because we were in Danville, IL. Sorry I can't figure out how to upload the video, though.
Next stop was Mark Twain State Park in Missouri, overlooking a man-made lake. We saw a beaver swimming and a big raccoon came out of the dark, heading for Samoa's food bag.
Samoa likes to make baked potatoes in the embers of the campfire and grill sausages for her supper. The potatoes are so yummy, slathered with butter.

I continue to work remotely from my old office on Tuesdays. Samoa arranged for us to stay at an AirBnB in Lawrence KS for that Monday and Tuesday, where I would have excellent wifi. Monday night I took us out for a great meal at a local restaurant: steamed crab legs, paella, and other treats. On Tuesday, despite good wifi, the remote access wasn't working. Thank heavens my office has a supremely patient and inventive IT guy, who helped me out. It was a bit of a fraught work day, though.
Driving through New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania, particularly, I had seen giant buildings with hundreds of semi-trucks pulled up to them, like piglets on the teats of a sow. These "distribution centers" have huge parking lots stretching in all directions, with rows and rows of semi containers and trucks. And of course, the trucks are on the highways everywhere. I was shocked some years ago to see two containers being pulled behind a truck, wondering how you could safely drive such a huge rig. This trip, perhaps because of Covid supply chain issues, there are now trucks pulling 3 semis behind them, burning up how much fossil fuel to bring us all our "stuff".
Then I noticed the clouds, like huge galleons, sailing before the wind. Bringing vast amounts of water across the continent - the Water of Life - snow for the mountains and snowmelt for the rivers, rain for crops and forests and reservoirs. Clouds don't use any fuel, just the forces of Nature.
Our next stop was Benton Farm in Kansas, where Samoa and I spent many months while we were part of the Lyman Family. Have to make a special post just for that visit.
Comments
Post a Comment